Starting an online business? You might be thinking about how to get more visitors to your website. While there are various methods like ads and PPC, one essential strategy is search engine optimization. However, there are things you need to understand about SEO.
Many ecommerce businesses don’t know how important SEO is for their marketing. This happens because other methods often bring faster and more predictable traffic.
This blog post will show you why is SEO important for Ecommerce, explaining how it can boost the success and growth of your online store.
Table of Contents
What is Ecommerce Search Engine Optimization?
Ecommerce SEO uses proven methods to improve your website’s ranking on search engines like Google. Search engines determine a website’s rank based on its value in answering user queries.
While the exact algorithms used by Google are a secret, there are widely accepted techniques for enhancing your search engine rankings.
These techniques involve:
- creating high-quality content
- using the right keywords
- ensuring your website is user-friendly
By implementing SEO, you aim to increase your website’s visibility on search engines, leading to more visitors to your site.
12 Ecommerce SEO Benefits for Higher Sales and Revenue
The success of ecommerce businesses hinges on their capacity to draw in fresh customers. Regarding boosting revenue, organic search traffic plays a crucial role. Here’s why.
1. Improving Content Quality
Focusing on keywords with strong buying intent is smart. However, for other content like blog posts, guides, and how-to articles, their value isn’t instant.
For these types of content, SEO comes in handy. By optimizing your content based on what people search for (using keyword research), and with access to your content management system and some time, you can significantly increase your website traffic without a big investment.
2. Building Brand Awareness and Visibility
Brand awareness is the starting point in marketing. To sell to people, they first need to recognize your brand. Marketers often focus on increasing brand awareness, and ecommerce SEO is a potent way to do this.
3. Attracting Traffic at Every Marketing Stage
SEO can boost brand awareness and help at every stage of the marketing process. Take content marketing, a key part of SEO. You can create content that suits different parts of the marketing funnel.
For instance, consider FreshCup Coffee, a fictional online coffee seller. They write three articles, each aimed at a different stage of the marketing funnel.
This shows how ecommerce SEO can target every stage of the marketing funnel, helping with brand awareness and getting more sales.
4. Expanding Remarketing Audiences
By using paid search and SEO, you can gather shopper data with website cookies. Ecommerce SEO brings valuable visitors, helping you build larger remarketing audiences.
For example, consider a visitor like Sarah who read a coffee article on Buzz Bean’s website. If she later sees a Buzz Bean ad on another site, it reminds her of the brand.
Remarketing prepares your audience for buying, making Sarah more likely to choose Buzz Bean when she wants coffee because she knows the brand.
5. Enhancing User Experience
Ecommerce SEO isn’t just about getting traffic; the user experience matters too. If your site is slow, messy, outdated, or confusing, people will leave quickly.
Google doesn’t like websites that are hard to navigate, have bad content, or make people leave quickly. Google wants to provide users with good answers, so if your site isn’t user-friendly, it won’t rank high.
6. Increasing Click-Through Rates (CTR)
Websites on Google’s first page get clicks. If you’re on the second page, you’re nearly invisible. Being on the second page is like hiding a secret.
Out of the top 10 listings on the first page, the first one gets more than 30% of all clicks. So, in ecommerce SEO, the aim is to reach the #1 spot for relevant keywords. It’s not always easy, but every page-one ranking is a win.
7. Complementing Paid Search (PPC) Efforts
Performing SEO on your landing pages can quickly boost Quality Scores and reduce cost-per-click. In the long term, your PPC budget may decrease as ecommerce SEO gains momentum, driving traffic.
Ecommerce SEO strategies increase website visits, and being on page one is vital for click-through rates. Paying for ads doesn’t guarantee a first-page position on Google, and many users ignore paid ads. Having both an ad and an organic listing strengthens your SERP presence.
8. Fostering Long-Term Growth
Ecommerce SEO is a lasting investment for enduring results. While it may take longer than Paid Search to show results, its benefits continue even when not actively running. Good rankings, quality content, and a user-friendly site offer long-term value.
9. Accelerating Sales
These factors directly lead to more sales for your online store. To run a successful online business, focus on three key things:
- Offer excellent products at competitive prices.
- Ensure people are aware of your offerings.
- Build enough trust to persuade potential customers to make purchases.
While SEO may not affect your products or prices, it significantly improves your visibility and trust, ultimately driving more consistent sales.
10. Creating Remarketing Audiences
Remarketing is a powerful tool:
- Add code to your website to collect visitor data.
- Create a list of these potential customers.
- Utilize this list to show them targeted ads.
SEO drives more interested visitors to your product pages, helping you grow a larger and more relevant remarketing audience.
11. Achieving High ROI
When done correctly, SEO can bring you a big ROI. The exact ROI depends on your type of business, what you sell, and how much you make from each sale.
12. Influencing Buyer Decisions at the Right Time
High search engine rankings ensure your online store is noticed when consumers search for products. When you rank well in your niche and offer helpful content, you become a credible choice during their research, increasing your chances of being chosen.
11 Ecommerce SEO Strategies for Improved Visibility
When developing a successful e-commerce SEO strategy, keep certain factors in mind. Ensuring each page includes specific keywords and incorporating high-quality backlinks into your strategy are key considerations.
- Mastering Keyword Research: Using the right keywords helps you connect with new audiences, so don’t overlook their importance.
- Streamline Website Structure: It’s like laying a strong foundation before constructing your site, preventing future issues and simplifying future developments.
- Craft Unique Product Descriptions: A clear description is crucial, as it tells users what they’re getting when they click ‘add to cart.’
- Implement On-Page SEO: Good image alt text should explain the picture, so when someone clicks it, they see a meaningful description instead of nothing.
- Enhance Image Optimization: Images are vital for boosting sales. They show what a product looks like and help the website work better when they load quickly.
- Speed Up Website Loading: It’s a critical factor in user experience and can influence factors such as bounce rates and search engine rankings.
- Utilize Schema Markup: This informs search engines about your webpage’s structure, making sure they grasp how it’s organized and present it correctly in search results.
- Utilize Social Media Marketing: Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram provide excellent opportunities for product and brand promotion.
- Create High-Quality Content: Your goal is to provide useful content that brings people back to your website.
- Strengthen Link Building: Selecting the right sources or being recognized as a reference by another organization can boost your credibility and brand awareness.
- Ensure Site Security: This SEO strategy safeguards your website.
Follow these best practices:
- Monitor and replicate data to and from web apps.
- Avoid spammy, low-quality links.
- Enhance security with SaaS-based CMS.
- Maintain a secure hosting environment.
Implementing these practices will help protect your site from potential exploits and threats.
What Happens When You Ignore SEO for ecommerce Sites?
If you ignore SEO for your eCommerce site, you’re willingly putting yourself at a significant disadvantage compared to your competitors. Even with a large sales team, you can’t match what SEO can do for your eCommerce business.
That’s why you must research the best eCommerce platform for SEO, focusing on wholesale and direct-to-consumer sales and marketing. You can also check mobile friendliness to assess your competition’s performance.
Boost Your Online Store with eCommerce SEO Now
Ecommerce SEO can transform your online business, leading to exponential growth and success. We’re here to help you achieve the remarkable results that await with a well-executed Ecommerce SEO strategy. Contact us now.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ecommerce SEO
1. Why does eCommerce benefit from SEO?
SEO matters for eCommerce because it helps in three key ways:
- Increase Brand Visibility: SEO helps new customers find your site regularly through blogs, content updates, and link building.
- Enhance Product Pages: Improve SEO on popular products to reach a larger audience.
- Build Authority: High-quality, well-structured content leads to better Google rankings, making your brand more trustworthy and enticing for customers.
2. Is SEO still valuable in 2023?
Absolutely, SEO is worth it in 2023 and beyond. It’s cost-effective, drives traffic, and boosts your site’s authority and trustworthiness.
3. How long does SEO last?
It takes 3 to 6 months to see results from SEO efforts. As for its longevity, SEO remains relevant as long as search engine results pages exist.